Do you wear makeup playing paintball? Does paintball hurt? What to wear to paintball? Learn the answers to these common questions and more with these useful paintball tips for girls who want to play.
So someone has invited you to paintball and you have no idea what to expect. Here are some paintball tips for girls from a woman who has played paintball for many years off and on, tournament and rec ball, woods, and speedball. If you have no idea what I am talking about then no worries- just read on.
25 Paintball Tips for Girls Who Want to Play
What to Wear
- Pants– I like to wear regular leggings underneath paintball pants or joggers. You can also wear any type of sweatpants that you want. I have also worn jeans to play for fun. Nevertheless, the most comfortable and protective option will be leggings underneath sweats or joggers.
- Shoes– You can wear any athletic shoes pretty much. But if you are going to play at least occasionally, I would recommend running shoes or even cleats. Skechers shoes have always worked great for me and they are extremely comfortable. If you go with cleats, you’ll want soccer or baseball cleats in most cases.
- Bra– When you’re running around and getting shot at, you want the girls to stay in place and stay protected. It doesn’t feel that great getting shot in the boob. My favorite sports bra for paintball right now is the Adidas Ultimate Sports Bra. I got mine for half the price on Nordstrom Rack and I will say, this bra works. Keeps everything in place and I didn’t get any bruises after getting shot in the chest as I might have if I wore a different bra. Make sure you have a decent padded sports bra.
- Hair accessories– Sometimes I play with my hair down and others with it up. If you’re going to be out all day, especially in the summertime, you’ll want to wear your hair in a ponytail or braid. A headband adds extra protection for your forehead.
- Layers– If you are absolutely terrified of getting shot by a paintball, layer up. Wear leggings under your pants and a couple of shirts under a sweatshirt. Once you have played a few times, you’ll get used to getting shot and realize the adrenaline keeps it from hurting too bad. What to wear to paintball has a lot to do with your personal preference.
- If you are used to wearing makeup or just having a bad skin day, I get it. When I play paintball, I keep it really simple because it’s a lot of running and sweating in a mask, and makeup doesn’t last too long. I recommend a glowing moisturizer that wakes up the skin. This is my fave glow moisturizer. Then some days I will wear a simple BB cream, and sometimes if my skin is really red I will wear my mineral foundation. I have had great, natural and long-lasting results using these makeup products while paintballing. I wouldn’t recommend mascara because it will just end up running, being irritating, and waterproof mascara isn’t good for your eyes for long uses.
Gear & Fees
Prepare for several different fees:
- Rental– You need a gun to play so you’ll have to borrow one from a friend or rent one from the field. Prices vary depending on the marker you rent. Rental packages normally come with the paintball marker, air tank, and mask.
- Field Fee– Just about all paintball fields require a field fee to play. You will also sign a waiver.
- Paint– You will need at least one case of paint depending on how long you play and most fields don’t allow you to bring your own paint so you’ll have to purchase it at the field that you go to.
One of the most common questions that someone who hasn’t played paintball will ponder is- does paintball hurt?? There are actually several factors that will depend on if it will hurt getting shot, including how cold it is, proximity, and also how many layers you’re wearing. And getting a hit on the fingers, head, or neck tends to hurt the worst. Once you play several times, you get used to it. When the adrenaline is pumping, you don’t focus on the pain, you usually just see the bruises later. (Paintball welts and bruises usually last a few days up to a couple of weeks, depending on the factors mentioned above).
Always, always, always keep your goggles on when you are on the field! If you lift your mask up at any time during a live game, you risk losing an eye.
Keep your paintball gun’s barrel plug on before matches, and wait until a ref tells you that you can take it off. And always plug the marker before you exit the paintball field.
Always make sure you have plenty of air and paint before a match. There’s nothing worse than being close to getting a shot and then suddenly running out of paint or when your gun lobs balls because it’s almost out of air.
Rec vs Tournament Paintball- Recreational paintball is like rec for other sports. You show up, pay your fees and play with whoever else has done the same. A ref will split everyone up into teams and run the matches. Tournament paintball is a lot more strict and has game points, brackets, etcetera with a referee watching closely over each match. Tournaments are speedball matches, whereas a scenario game is normally a one-time woodsball game.
Speedball vs. Woodsball- Speedball is a fast-paced game on a flat field with bunkers that are in the same location on both sides of the field. Most speedball games are timed, and furthermore, some matches are player elimination while others capture the flag. Woodsball is exactly what it sounds like, playing paintball in the woods. Field setups vary greatly from field to field as do the woodsball games.
How long do paintball matches last? This completely depends on which type of game you are playing. Some woodsball games can last up to 15 minutes or more. Whereas speedball games are usually 5 minutes or less.
Getting Your Own Paintball Gear
A great website for affordable paintball gear is ANSgear.
Another way to save money when purchasing paintball supplies is by joining local paintball buy/trade/sell Facebook groups.
Paintball gear for beginners:
- Paintball Pack & Pods
- Marker, tank, and loader- You can find these individually or in a group package on ANSgear.
Here is a great in-depth guide on beginner paintball gear.
Prepare to drop some $$.
Get a good night’s sleep the night before.
Eat breakfast and have an energy drink and Powerade on hand.
Ask a ref if you need help.
Prepare to be at the field for several hours.
I hope that you enjoy these paintball tips for girls and find them helpful and now you know what to wear to paintball. If you are a female who enjoys playing paintball, shoot me a message. I would love to hear from other women who play the sport as we are far outnumbered by the guys.
Read next: 25 Cute Summer Outfits